× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
CAN IHS BUS
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 8/28/2013 7 Replies

[2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Photo] [2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, ECM/Inputs/Outputs Photo] Ran into a 2009 Caravan, customer states very intermittently the wiper will sweep and headlights turn on. Code tested, multiple stored faults for loss of comm. with interior body modules IHS BUS. So CAN IHS (Interior High Speed) bus is shorting or loosing connection. For those who are not familiar with this system, anytime the instrument cluster or "CCN" (Cabin Compartment Node) module looses communication with the TIPM over the IHS bus, the TIPM will by default turn on the headlamps and sweep the wipers. This is a fail safe lawyer thing in case it fails in the worst circumstances, at night and raining.

Attempting to duplicate this condition was nearly impossible, but of course the same day the customer would pick it up, 10 minutes later it would happen. So after some more searching and hunting ended up finding the CAN IHS + wire had rubbed through at the back corner of the right rear seatbelt retractor. I wanted to share this with others as I know BUS problems are by in large one of the most frustrating things we can face. I also know how scarce bus problems/fixes are in IATN as many AM shops defer these to dealerships. I personally work at a chrysler dealer and get plenty of help from IATN with other brands, so to me thats what it's all about, we all help each other. The photo's aren't great but many will recognize the area due to the location of the rear heater box in doing rear evaporators. CAN IHS problems on RT CARAVANS, this includes 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013 VANS. Some other problem areas include loose IHS BUS circuits at C300, lower sliding door harness pinched, C200 terminal alignment/spread terminal issue, harness rub through on top of thermostat housing, harness near power liftgate motor, and pass-through door wiring broken or terminals backed out.

Skyler from Nebraska

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

7 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Engine3.8 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)

car Vehicle Data

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8L

Engine3.8 L
Trans6-speed Automatic (Electronic)