× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
pcm control alternator
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 4/27/2023 20 Replies

Vehicle towed in w/ dead battery. Battery voltage at 3V. Charged and now battery tests ok, but when running voltage at battery never increased.

Stored all modules codes then cleared to have reoccuring P0621:00 Generator L-terminal circuit code.

Performed flowchart per code and was suggested to test or replace alternator, which I chose to replace. Dealer part-very expensive, but once replaced found 14.4V at battery. Fixed but me being me I went further.......

Per flow chart, stage 3, I found 3.2V at connector disconnected from alt. with KOEO. Specs is 3-5V so I replaced the alternator but was a bit worried that it was at the lower end of specs.

I scoped the L terminal, again w/ KOEO and am puzzled by what I see. Instead of being a clean square wave, the lower trailing edge is rounded. [BATT/Charging/Starting Photo]

Tried different terminals. Even used a different scope. Still got the same signature.

Anybody see this before? Been waiting for a test vehicle to come in, but still waiting. Figured I'd hit you guys up for thoughts.

Thanks

James George
Owner
Eve's Automotive
West Sacramento, California, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail

20 Replies Received (View Replies)

car Vehicle Data

2013 GMC Acadia SLE 3.6L

VIN 1GKKRPKD9D
Engine3.6 L