× Auto Repair Pros Member Benefits TechHelp Knowledge Base Forums Resources My iATN Marketplace Chat Pricing About Us Join Industry Sponsors Video Members Only Repair Shops Auto Pro Careers Auto Pro Reviews
Join Now
International Automotive Technicians Network
Re: When did GM begin supporting the misfire DTC group
Posted to Technical Discussion Forum on 12/28/2023 2 Replies

[...trimmed text...]

Hi Geoff,

I do custom GM gas based tuning for models mid 1980s to present Most of them are done remotely via emails The vehicle owner is required to purchase an OBD laptop based scanner and in record mode and do test drives to collect all feedback from the engines and auto tranny They then email that to me and also use a PCM/TCM flash tool and email the calibrations

I have them makeup a set custom PID group I require, which they email to me, so I can export all the raw data and with templates and formulas for Excel spreadsheets and analyze all the data so that I know exactly how that vehicle functions as to other factors such as the owner's drive style, elevation, type of gas used, weather and if having mods what they are

So to your question, for OBD-II alone, close to 10,000 scanner recordings and to get those on almost all cases I first have to walk these owners how to use a OBD scanner, and they never have used one or rarely used one but do not know what all the data means

OBD-II alone since 2001 when I started storing OBD recordings

[Abot 10,000 OBD-II Scanner Recording]

I even have to walk them through how to use a laptop, and even steps on how to properly configure the scanner to how to scan, record, export and playback the recordings

So without doubt almost in all those thousands of owner vehicles I can say very few people understand OBD scanners and what the feedback sensors are reporting

A lot more I have done that are older OBD-I GM vehicles MYs mid 1980s to around 1995

Example of concurrent PIDs needing to be recorded, so I can analyze and slant custom tune to that vehicle

[Engine PIDs]

John Rovner
Owner
Team ZR-1 Corvette Racers llc
Greenville, Texas, USA

Files Referenced:

thumbnail thumbnail

2 Replies Received (View Replies)